Sunday, 22 January 2012

Poem of my Choice 3

The Steadfast Arbor


I live in a gnarled forest
A vast sea of old cedars and white pines
That rise as giants above the loftiest mountain peaks
And stretch like a sunrise far beyond the highest cloud

Yet I am firmly rooted to the ground
Where I cling tenaciously to the fecund earth
And to my distant past
When I was but a single seed
In that enveloping dirt
A dark and moist cocoon

Though I was sheltered
I was inexorably excluded from life’s pelf
Trapped in an ostensibly perfect world
Shut out from all else

Finally I burst out of my baby bubble
I emerged beside matted moss
Dancing dandelions
And myriads of mixed berries

Cranes and bald eagles hovered overhead
Like kites following the intricate patterns
Of a fierce and majestic wind
And though my vibrant imagination
And solemn desires
Rocketed to rivaling heights
My tenuous branches
And skeletal trunk
Barely lifted off the icy ground

Yet as each season
Transcended to the next
I ascended ever higher
And every year
Another ring embellished my inner core
Pine needles as sharp as the tip
Of a hummingbird’s beak
Sprouted here and there
Sweet sap exuded
From my porous sides
While I matured
So, too, did the wild woodland
Prolific animals have passed under
My cloak of dense foliage
Some have made a den
In my wooden womb

I watch upon the forest
As its protector
Its lungs
Its home for many
I breathe in the powder blue sky
And the dewy morning fog
That clings to my moist needles
I inhale the crisp sound
Of a sparrow’s caw
And the delightful smell
Of fresh rain on tall grass

Through many a season
I have grown and seen the world
Today I rise to even greater heights
Surrounded by the purity of nature


Katy Thompson
Block: 3
January 22, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment