Monday, 2 April 2012

Time: Reflections


The steady ticking
Of the hands on my
Grandfather clock
Didn’t stop
Didn’t wait
As I slept
As I ate
Or as I counted the stars

Now alone
In an icy world
On fast-forward
A lens of dark storm clouds
Hiding yesterday’s sun

Nowhere to go
But back
Back to when I was young
Naïve, indecisive, lost
But free
Free as the crisp winds of spring
Free from the onerous weight
That chains me to the rubble earth
Free to explore my boundless imagination
And to discover new and wondrous places

Across the world
To the torrid Sahara
Or the raging Amazon
Perhaps to the zenith
Of Mount Everest
And back down again
In desperate want of adventure

The tingling of my hands
The eager twitching of my feet
And the vociferous pounding of my callow heart
Leading the way

Many a time I fell upon
Forks in the road
Life would come to a full stop
Which road to take
Or simply turnaround
Nothing to assuage my indecision
And now I know
Much to my dismay
All forks eventually
Lead to one dark and tapering path
Which I am currently heading down

It was a world bathed in a yellow dawn
Now draped in a black velvet shroud
No stars or moon or shining sun
Just the dying embers
Flickering in my old fireplace

But as the clock keeps ticking by
And the seasons continue to cycle
An inexplicable yet irrefragable
Peace has come over me
From beyond a layer of creviced wrinkles
And years of sorrow
I see the world differently
And suddenly I am assured
The sun will rise tomorrow.


Katy Thompson
Block: 3
April 2, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment