Monday, 7 May 2012

Navigating the Namib Desert


I am walking on salmon-pink waves
No end in sight
To the sea of sand
A body as endless
As my thoughts
And most dazzling dreams

The pinnacle of a nearby dune
Collides into the teal sky
A steep slope
And an ambitious hope
To reach its summit tonight

Time for water and rest
To wipe the prolific beads of sweat
From my ripening face
The torrid climate
Barren landscape
And seething sand
An unforgiving terrain

I’ll make it to the crest by sundown
When the sun floats on the horizon
Engulfing me in a tidal wave
Of crimson and apricot

The last step was the longest
And then I collapsed
Under the dense blanket of stars
My pillow the soft sand
And the chirps of nearby birds
My soothing lullaby

Lizards slither and ostriches gather
On one of the darkest nights
In the oldest desert in the world
My unforgettable African adventure


Katy Thompson
Block: 3
May 7, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment